In the early 1930s Eamont Bridge was still very much a community of locals with little passing traffic or contact with outsiders. Cavalry Units of Lancashire and Cheshire Yeomanry used to come for a fortnight’s camp in Lowther Park . The public were allowed to go and visit the soldier’s camp at Hugh’s Crag Bridge and on the last day they used to give displays of trick riding and demonstrations of the use of the lance and swordplay.
In 1939 war was declared and many men from the village were called up, it is known that at least three died. At this time High Mill (the old snuff mill) was taken over by a Spaniard and used as a cork mill. During the Second World War, with the threat of German invasion, holes were drilled under Lowther Bridge and in the high banks at the side of Kemplay so that explosives could be inserted and used to block the roads.
Trenches were dug at strategic places to defend the troops. One was dug in the field next to the Joiners Shop with holes in the wall at ground level for defenders to shoot up the Yanwath road. There is a monument near King Arthur’s Round Table dedicated to the men of the village who fell in the South African War (1899-1902). In May 1901 by casting vote of the chairman Mr R.W. Armstrong a meeting at Eamont bridge decided to erect a monument to troopers Hindson and Todd ( who were killed at Fabers Put on 30th May 1900) subject to the granting of a site by Lord Brougham a move to erect it on the bridge was found to be impractical.
The Monument was erected by public subscription on this historic site granted by Lord Brougham Vaux.
The work on the monument was executed at Grisenthwaites Victoria Monumental works Penrith
A detachment of 150 yeomanry attended the unveiling along with many distinguished guest speeches were made by Gen. Sir Charles Warren and Lord Londsdale.
The dedication on the monument reads as follows: “At that crisis in history of the empire when volunteers were invited for active service in the South African war this village sent four John Hindson, William Todd, Arthur Warwick of the 24th co Imperial Yeomanry and William Hindson of the Volunteer co of the Border Regiment”