Eamont Bridge once had 5 public houses, the reason for this may have been that it was the main route for cattle being driven down from Scotland to the English markets.
Only 2 Public Houses have survived, one of these is the Crown Hotel, where in 1852 Lord Brougham built a tennis court in the yard of the Inn. The Brougham tennis court building was used by the Penrith C.W.S. as an egg packing station during and after the war and poultry was plucked there leading up to Christmas by youngsters and villagers for 2d per chicken 4d per duck 6d per goose and 8d per turkey.The Crown hotel dining room with bedrooms above were once a separate house at one time Mr and Mrs Pallister lived there. Between the house and the Crown there was a wide arched passageway which led through to the Crown stable yard.
The second pub in Eamont Bridge is the Beehive Inn, which once had real beehives. Frank Graham in his book North Country Inn Signs states the rhyme above the door as from being before the time ale was sweetened with sugar. Robert and Ann Patten had it built as a house in 1727 when Robert was due to retire from his naval chaplaincy, its front door lintel is inscribed with their initials, Ann being the daughter of Roland Burrows of the Mansion House. Robert being known to history as Creeping Bob, he is best known for his first hand account of the History of the Late Rebellion published in 1717.
Above is the Beehive after its recent renovations
The other public houses were the Robin Hood, the White Horse and the Welcome Inn, all now private residences.
The Robin Hood was built-in the 17th century, in 1906 a small 2 roomed cottage was added on to the main building, when alterations were done in recent times the old front door of the cottage were found built up in side the wall also in the end wall overlooking the lane a tall narrow window was discovered.
The Welcome (sometimes known as the Salutation) used to be the first house over the border (river). It had a sign with the image of a Scotsman in full regalia and the words “A BRAVE MAN’S AT HOME WHEREVER HE TREADS”. This house was erected after the commonwealth and several of its neighbours are cottages of the 18th century. Towards the end of 1913 the Inn , then owned by Glassons was closed.
This Illustration shows the level of the road before it was heightened
The above photo shows the very high wall on the left of the road, this was lowered in 1948. A large oil painting depicting an Englishman clasping hands with a kilted Scotsman was fitted to the gable end below the signboard on the Welcome Inn, it has been suggested that this was the work of John Thompson, Penrith artist and hairdresser of Angel Lane.