Park Holme belonged to a Mr Armstrong who owned racehorses, with Joseph Davis as his head trainer. The field behind was known as Jockey Holme (holme means a water meadow).
Mrs Carleton Cooper was the next occupant, she had a small steel footbridge built over the Eamont so that she could visit her son at Carleton Hall, now the Headquarters of the Cumbria Police. The footbridge was taken down in recent times as the Firemans recuperation centre was built on adjoining land. Mrs Carleton Cowper had a chauffeur called William who lived in a bothy behind Park Holme
Lord and Lady Patterson lived in Park Holme when Major G.T.M.Carleton Cowper put up the Carleton Hall Estates for sale in 1947.
Another bridge, this time across the Lowther, was a stone built bridge that connected the fields on both sides of the river when they belonged to Brougham Hall Estate. When the estate was sold in 1932 the fields were sold to separate buyers and the sale agreement stated that the stone bridge was to be blown up, although the stone buttresses are still standing. The Brougham hall estates comprised of 713 acres with 5 mixed farms, the Crown hotel, Laundry house plus 14 cottages and houses, Wetheriggs pottery–other cottages and oak woodlands.
The surviving walls,gates and other parts of Brougham hall date back to the 15th century. The hall, a grade 11* listed building was initially owned by the de Burgham family.By the 16th century a large complex of buildings existed on the site and in the 17th century a pele tower was added.Following many changes of ownership the estate passed into the hands of Lady Anne Clifford for the sum of £1,500 in 1651, it passed to her agent James Bird upon her death in 1676. James Bird died without a male heir (even though he’d had 9 sons) the manor was sold by his 3 granddaughters to John Brougham of Scales in 1726 for £5,000 so regaining the ancient property of his family. In 1810 Henry Brougham made James responsible for the hall. The Broughams also got back St. Wilfred’s chapel, in 1813 the turnpike was re-routed from outside the chapel to across the bridge near Brougham castle. The hall was largely rebuilt from 1829 to 1847 and again in the 1860’s at which time it was the home of Lord Chancellor Brougham .The hall reached its zenith in Victorian times when it acquired the title of Windsor of the north owing to the visits of King Edward VII and his son the future King George VI who became regular guests between 1857 and 1905. Brougham hall passed out of the ownership of the Brougham family in the early 1930’s it is then that the Carleton Cowper’s bought it and started to demolish it only stopping when a workman was killed by a falling roof , it was then abandoned and roofless and commandeered by Winston Churchill for the development of one of five secret weapons of world war 11.
The plight of Brougham hall had been evident since March 1986 when there 4 separate plans to demolish it to make way for a caravan park,an aparthotel,a trade union headquarters and lastly houses. By November 1984 the first of the houses had been built and sold, fortunately these were outside the main walls of the hall. After negotiations the then owners agreed to sell and so began one of England’s most ambitious country house restoration projects when it was bought by Christopher Terry in 1985, he saved the hall from destruction.
Below the bank of Brougham chapel is a hand hewn cave which could have been a cold room for Brougham hall in the days before refrigeration. It consists of a passageway leading into a large chamber over 5m high, the lower part of the chamber is natural sandstone the upper part is of well-built sandstone blocks. The roof is arched and the chamber is divided in two by a wall reaching the full height with an opening at the top.Nearly opposite and at the same height is a passageway which bends round and appears to have originally come out on the slope above the entrance, but it is now blocked. The lower entrance to this structure is now totally blocked as a tree was dislodged and caused the bank to slide. Chris Terry
A painting by an unknown artist of Henry Brougham– 1742 -1810 with the main Lowther bridge in the Background