Mayburgh Henge is a massive construction believed to have been built around 4,500 years ago. The circle is 75 yards across and 25 feet high and is unusual in that it has no ditch.It is one of 3 in close proximity between the rivers Eamont and Lowther. It has a single entrance on the eastern side, the interior is level with a single standing stone located near the centre.The Henge is made from boulders gathered from the river Eamont. The building of this monument suggests the existence of a sizeable prehistoric village.
The “First tour to Scotland”, a 1769 Thomas Pennant book, shows a plan of Mayburgh as having had 8 stones but even then 3 of them had disappeared. Some are said to have been removed and used in the rebuilding of Penrith Castle by King Henry VI, while another story states that they were removed by the then Lord Brougham. There is only one stone left now, it is approximately 10 feet high and at least 20 foot in circumference. Stuckley records in 1725 that there were two circles of stone, the inner circle being 15 meters. Poet Close reports that the circle was surrounded by 38 rough stones with a further 10 stones inside the circle. A brass Celt (bronze axe) was found during ploughing and in 1879 a broken roughed out stone axe was found in the entrance.
Mayburgh was supposedly a place where wrestlers, racers and other members of the*humbler* classes performed their exercises. Called the “Gymnasium”, spectators stood on the terraces on the signal of the heralds the combatants rushed up on the area from the opposite entrances.
Prior to Roman occupation, it is reported that Mayburgh was used for religious solemnities and sacrifices, in more modern times it was used for May Day festivities.