The Mansion House was reputedly built in 1686 for Roland and Lucy Burrows. It was a large square mansion with a projecting porch and a balustrade parapet. Above the doorway are the initials R L B and the date of 1686, however the Royal Commission on Historic Monuments suggests it was built for Roger Bradley and his wife.
A Carolean house, the building is believed to be one of a small number of classical buildings erected in Cumbria after the Restoration and is associated with the Reverend Thomas Machel and Edward Addison a master mason who did other work in the area in the late 1600s.It is a grade 2 listed building and important for its design.
Roland Burrows was the rector of Brougham and Clifton and one time headmaster of Penrith Grammar School. He died in 1707 leaving the house to his wife and five daughters, who sold it in 1724 to Thomas Patterson.
In 1776 the estate was sold to James Wallace of Carleton Hall. The property included the house, barn, byre, stable, dovecote and gardens and eventually it was to become part of the Cowpers Estates. In 1777 it contained 12 families most of them customary tenants
By 1828 the Mansion House had been let to tenants for over a century and was about to suffer a drastic change of use. In 1832 the Gilbert union was formed by several local parishes they hired the mansion house and in 1837 it was turned into the local workhouse often the last resting place for those who had struggled over Shap Fell looking for work. It was capable of containing 59 paupers. Mr Robert Hewitt was appointed master and his wife Mary as matron. In 1851 it could accommodate 73 ‘inmates’–a Poor Law report in 1867 noted that ‘the provision for sick and infectious cases is deficient–the building is old and most unsuitable for the purpose’. Mansion House was extended by the addition of a number of new warehouses and remained in use as a workhouse until 1874 when it was converted into 4 flats and 3 cottages.
In 1871 St Johns Mission was built in what was then the garden of Mansion house–now the village hall site.This was built at the cost of £360.
By 1921 Eamont Hall as it was known then had 7 families living in its 3 stories. When the 467 acre Carleton Hall estate was auctioned in 1947, Lot 9 was The Old Mansion House and 3 cottages. Mr Leeming of Skirsgill Park bought Lot 9 then in 1952 he sold it to the sitting tenants.
In the early 1960’s Eamont Hall was abandoned and became semi-derelict. The house was eventually altered and made into a hotel in 1976 by Mr and Mrs Simity who demolished an old farm building behind the house to make car parking space and added a single storey extension to the rear of the house to provide kitchen and reception facilities, spending £60,000 and taking a year to renovate the building.
In 1980 Mansion House was bought by the Heating and Ventilating Contractors Association to provide offices for their welfare and pension activities.
A new two-storey wing was built against the south gable and the old house thoroughly repaired and renovated.