The first Sunday in May was the Well Waking ceremony in Skirsgill Lane (skirsgill-skyrsi-is a viking word meaning monster) where villagers would gather and hold sports, cockfighting and wrestling matches the well is now covered over, people used to mix sugar and well water as a drink later this changed to tap water and licorice called shaky bottles locally .
Market stalls were set up, but with the passing of time the ceremonies degenerated into drinking and fighting sessions and were banned by the Bishop of Penrith in 1824. Although Skirsgill Lane was once a very popular circular walk, now the motorway cuts through it.
The 5th of November, Fireworks Night, used to be started by rolling a burning tar barrel down Kemplay Bank – KEMPE- (Danish) – WRESTLE. LEY- (Saxon)-MEADOW
Water supply and sewers came to the district in the 1850’s and replaced the water pumps. Gas lighting came at about the same time and street-lights came as far as the bottom of Kemplay. Electricity was brought to the district in 1934by the Yorkshire Electricity Company any and most of the houses had it fitted.Before the coming of dustbins, household waste was put on an ash pit in the garden, at regular intervals the Council men would come with a horse-drawn cart and empty the pit and take the rubbish to the nearest rubbish tips. One of which was near Lowther Bridge the other at the nature reserve called the hidey hole at Yanwath.The village pavements and gutters were swept clean every Saturday morning by two Council length men one was called Billy Smith of 3 Southwaite green council houses and the other Matt Sowerby who lived in one of the Mansion house dwellings.
Various shops used to bring their goods round the village to be sold at the doors, Atkinson’s used to bring their homemade sausages, Miss Slater sold fruit and vegetables from a small horse-drawn flat cart, fish was brought round on a Saturday by Mr. Bowman. Milk was delivered by Mr Blaylock of Kemplay Foot Farm with a pony and trap, he had a churn fitted with a tap, milk was measured into people’s jugs or cans which they would leave on the step.
As well as Kemplay Foot Farm there were two other farms in the village, Home Farm and Eamont Bridge Farm, which is still a working farm run by Mr and Mrs L. Grainger.